Friday, September 23, 2011

‘So you make maps?’

Sarah Josephson, UNT Geography Alum, Current M.S. Student
99 percent of the time this is the response I receive after telling someone that I study geography.  Understandably, high school geography (often taught by an athletics coach) typically does not leave individuals well informed or motivated about career opportunities in the field. 

I rediscovered geography through an intrigue in environmental science during my second semester at UNT.  Specifically, physical geography captivated my interest because it provided an opportunity to observe ecosystems on grand scales of deep time (historical geology) and it offered an opportunity to study climatic change.  I had always enjoyed learning, but it was not until I found my niche in geography that I truly knew what it was to have a passion for learning.  While I feel I am inherently a geographer, my passion for the field would not have evolved the same without the team of faculty pushing me to my limits.  Through the capstone courses at UNT, I was introduced to what it meant to research a topic and concisely communicate information. From that point, I was hooked and knew my learning would not end with a bachelor’s degree.  

When I considered where to continue my education in a master’s program, I could not shake UNT from my mind.  I was tormented by the idea that diversity in learning would only come from attending a different university, yet UNT geography is where I wanted to be.  In my great mental debate, the question: ‘Is there still something to be learned from the faculty here?’ was posed to me.  I knew that I had only scratched the surface of what I could gain and achieve through my mean green mentors, and I eagerly joined UNT’s Applied Geography Master’s Program.  Only five weeks into my master’s, there is no doubt in my mind that I am exactly where I need to be in order to develop the necessary skills for continuing deeper into the application of geography in ecology. I anticipate each day’s new opportunities for learning, and I owe thanks to the department for fostering excitement in my education.

No comments:

Post a Comment