Thursday, August 30, 2012

Much Given, Much Expected


Stephanie Heald holds a UNT MS in Applied Geography (2012) & is a PhD student in Geography at Oklahoma State University

It is hard to say that after spending two years in a place that you have no complaints.  I can honestly say that about my experience as a graduate student in the UNT Geography Department.  I came into graduate school with the ultimate goal of graduating in two years and it looks like I will accomplish it.  All I planned on receiving from UNT was a piece of paper that would allow me to take the next step towards my dream of being a geography professor and cross country coach at a small college.  What I have received, however, is much more than just a degree.  I received support from all of my professors, even from faculty and staff that did not have me as a student.  I had the opportunity to be part of the Medical Geography and Health GIS research group and form great working relationships and friendships with other members.   During my time at the University, I also served as an assistant track and cross country coach, yet another step toward my career goals.  Additionally, my first experience as an instructor at the University level came from UNT.  The coordinator for the classes I taught and my professors never kept me guessing.  I always knew what was expected of me, was constantly encouraged, and pushed to succeed.

Through the department I had the opportunity to present at Association of American Geographers conferences in Seattle and New York.  Another student and I were even granted the unique opportunity to travel to Beijing for an international workshop and conference.  At these conferences I met and worked with many other professors and students in various fields of geography.  I saw the Statue of Liberty, the Space Needle, and The Great Wall of China, things that this Oklahoma girl had only dreamed of before. 

Even more remarkable than the adventures I was able to take through this program were the lessons that I learned from working on my thesis. My research opened my eyes to how important and relevant geography really can be. Defending my thesis I thought would be terrifying, but the process gave me so much more confidence in myself.  I feel like I am leaving UNT as a totally different person, and better from the experience.   In addition to running cross country in college, this was the most rewarding and challenging task I have ever undertaken.  I have been blessed to be here and will really miss this department when I am gone. I am excited to continue my academic career at Oklahoma State University next year, as I pursue my PhD in geography.   I will always be so thankful for everybody that gave me the chance at UNT.   I would encourage undergraduate students wanting to eventually work on their masters, to seriously consider this program.  Hopefully, I can pay it forward in my career.  To whom much is given, much is expected!

No comments:

Post a Comment